Saying goodbye to the Blog

Please visit our new website www.mymothersstory.org

If that's the address you're following and you got here, just refresh your browser. Thank you for supporting the telling and honouring of the stories of our mothers' lives.


My Mother's Story Video



My Mother's Story from Bojan Dulabic on Vimeo.

Monday, June 9, 2008

Kay S - Winnipeg folklore writer and dreamer

My mother was born in 1911 in a tiny rural town settled on the border of North Carolina and South Carolina. When she was eight her parents and their four children moved to Windsor, Ontario, and later to Detroit across the river, where two more children were born. She met my father at a Halloween party at her church, and they were married a year later – she was seventeen. Her first child was born the next year, and nine years later I appeared in the world, the first girl. Five years later we moved to south Florida – my parents, my oldest brother Allen, me, Janet, and Jolene, all bundled into our 1944 Packard. My mother, who never learned to drive, sat in the backseat with the girls while fourteen-year-old Allen sat up with my father.

To read more of Kay's story of her mother, including a short story she wrote inspired by her mother's garden, go to Ultimate Challenge.

No comments: